Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Self Critique

So, the main complaints I had about my manifesto were: not forceful enough in some areas (change in tone), not necessary to read and listen to the same thing at the same time. There were also some things that people didn't understand. While I get why some areas may be confusing to other people, the whole thing makes perfect sense to me. I think what I thought this was, was a declaration of my overall beliefs as a filmmaker, not necessarily the exact direction I was heading. What I stated were true beliefs of mine, things that tick me off that other people do, and overall, just stuff that in my head make a good film.

There are a few parts that need to be revised now that I'm looking over them again. That isn't to say that it wasn't revised already though. I spent a good half hour nitpicking portions of the original content with another student until I viewed it as acceptable. That part of the process I am perfectly happy with.

One thing I really ended up not liking was just how straight forward and kind of boring that it ended up being. I'll take the hit for that. My idea seemed better in my head than it actually turned out. The reason I wanted text was so that people would pay attention more to what I was saying and interpret it. I didn't want visual distractions or something completely simple either. In my opinion there has to be happy medium. That's part of what film is about... making the content of the text and the image meaningful.

All in all, I think I need to narrow it down to what I really want to do with film, cut out everything else, and just go from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment